Sunday, January 8, 2012

Applesauce Bread

I promised Monday that I'd share with you the recipe for Applesauce Bread that we are giving as gifts.  It's a healthful breakfast or snack item and a thoughtful gift for people you really care about. 

Oh by the way, this is a great way to use some of that applesauce you may have canned this fall, but store-bought works just fine, too.

I got this recipe from Laura over at Heavenly Homemakers.  It's really good and really easy... two of my favorite things!  Normally when I make this recipe, I make four loaves.  I let them cool well and then pre-slice, wrapping each loaf in plastic wrap before putting into a gallon-size freezer bag.  On occassion, I have been known to forget to get a loaf out of the freezer until shortly before I'm going to serve it *ahem* but because it is pre-cut, you can seperate the slices for quick thawing.  Ta Da!  Once again, breakfast is saved!

Applesauce Bread

  • 1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 C sucanat or 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1/4 t sea salt
  • 1 t cinnamon
  • 1/2 t nutmeg
  • 3/4 C applesauce
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 C butter, melted
  1. Mix dry ingredients.  Make a well in the center and add applesauce, eggs and butter.  Stir well. 
  2. Pour into a buttered bread pan.  Bake for 45-55 minutes at 350° or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
Photo source: Heavenly Homemakers because I'm camera challenged...again

No comments:

Post a Comment