Saturday, January 7, 2012

Canned Apple Pie Filling

I mentioned before that I had gotten some wonderful apples from two friends.  This led to making applesauce and apple pie filling.  I had never made home-canned apple pie filling but thought the concept was one worth exploring.  Well, I didn't have to look far because my friend Amy (who gifted me some of the apples) shared a tried and true recipe from her mother.  I did alter it just a touch so I'll share what I did along with the original recipe just in case.

I love this recipe because you place raw apple slices into your jars and cover with the syrup.  This appeals to me because your apples aren't getting cooked to death the three times they'd be subject to heat:
  1. Cooking prior to placing in jars;
  2. Cooking while processing in the water bath;
  3. Cooking while being baked into the pie.
By the way, apple pie filling isn't just for apple pies.  You can also use it to make a quick apple crisp and could probably even put a little bit on top of your morning oatmeal.  Hmmm...


Apple Pie Filling

(Makes 6 quarts)
  • 6 pounds of apples
  • 4 C sucanat (original recipe called for 4-1/2 C sugar)
  • 1 C arrowroot or cornstarch
  • 6 T cinnamon (original recipe called for 2 teaspoons...yes, I did use 6 tablespoons!)
  • 1/4 t nutmeg (okay, if you use the amount of cinnamon I did, you aren't going to taste the nutmeg so it's your call if you want to put that in there or not)
  • 1 t salt
  • 10 C water
  • 3 T lemon juice
  1. In a large sauce pan, blend together the sucanat, arrowroot or cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
  2. Stir in water.                                                         
  3. Cook until thickened.
  4. While syrup is cooking, peel, core and thinly slice apples.  Place apple slices into hot jars leaving 1" headspace.                                                                   
  5. Stir lemon juice into hot, thickened syrup.
  6. Fill jars with hot syrup, leaving 1/2" headspace.  Wipe jar rims and adjust lids.
  7. Process in hot water bath 20 minutes for quarts, 15 minutes for pints.
  8. Remove from water and allow to cool in a draft-free place.
  9. Stand back and admire your beautiful work.           
Note:  Amy's mom mentioned that you can really pack the jars with apples so it might take a little more than 6 pounds.

I don't know about you, but I'm thinking these could make great Christmas gifts...

No comments:

Post a Comment