Sunday, January 8, 2012

Easy Cheesy Macaroni and Cheese

When we started our "real food" journey, one of the things my kids have really missed is macaroni and cheese.  Yup...the unearthly-looking orange stuff in the blue box.    When I was single, I'd whip up a box and call that cooking.  (Wow, I've come a long way.)  By the way, I am still uncertain how powdered cheese is made...  Is there such a thing as a powdered milk cow?  Hmmmm...  Note to self:  Google "powdered milk cow".

Anywho, we still love mac & cheese.  Finding a good, real food replacement recipe has been a high priority.  I've tried several recipes.  Many have been good, but my family really wanted mac & cheese that was creamy.  Most baked recipes aren't.  They are kinda chunky.  We wanted creamy.

I came up with this recipe after seeing someone use arrowroot to thicken milk.  I don't remember what the recipe was for, but that's what prompted this one.  And I appear to have scored a home run with this baby.  Ba-bye Kr**t!

Easy Cheesy Macaroni & Cheese

  • 8 oz. organic whole wheat pasta, any shape (my favorite place to get this is Trader Joe's)
  • 1 C raw milk
  • 1 T arrowroot
  • 1-2 C shredded cheddar cheese
  1. Add pasta to salted, boiling water.  Cook until al dente.
  2. While pasta is cooking, mix milk and arrowroot in a separate pan.  Stir so milk doesn't scorch.  Heat until thickened.
  3. Add cheese to thickened milk.  Stir until cheese is melted.
  4. Drain cooked pasta and pour back into pan.
  5. Pour cheese sauce into pasta and stir.
  6. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment