Saturday, January 7, 2012

Eggs!

Back in March, we got 8 little chicks.  By the time we received them, they were only two days old.  We cared for them, nurtured them, held and cuddled them.  We had to find a new home for one of our chicks because HE would never have done the job we had "hired" these birds to do.  And we have lived in anticipation of the one day when...they would lay eggs.

We have been noticing subtle changes in our girls.  Although for the past couple months they have seemed to be pretty well developed, their combs and wattles have been growing.  In addition, they have been acquiring some odd behaviors...
Gracie
It started with an unusual crowing noise they would make.  The first time it happened, the kids and I ran outside to see what the ruckus was all about.  Hmmmm...no one was in trouble, no one hurt.  Later my Mom said that it was the same noise they make after they lay an egg.  Well alrighty then...I guess we'll need to pay attention when we hear that!

Secondly, they had created a nest in the straw in one of the nest boxes in the coop.  I don't know about you, but I was really starting to think something was up.

Well, yesterday morning as I was getting ready I heard one of the chickens make their new "noise".  I happened to be near the window and looked out to see our two Wyandottes, Goldie and Lacey, run out the pop door of the coop.  Hmmmm...I had never seen any of the girls run out of the coop before.  Normally their exits are much more dignified with everyone walking out single-file.  No pushing, no shoving and definitely no running.  So I called to Reilly and asked her to check inside the coop.

And sure enough...

What do you think she happened to find?

Our first egg!

Oh my friends, but that isn't it!  Over the course of the day, three of our seven girls laid their first eggs!  They may be small right now, but they are beautiful, perfect, amazing...and from our very own backyard chickens.

I think Tom will let me keep the girls for sure now.

2 comments:

  1. That was a very good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana Davidson says: " That was a great day. I wish there was more of them."

    ReplyDelete