Saturday, January 7, 2012

Get Rid of Slugs Naturally...and Keep the Beer for Yourself!

Originally posted 6-29-11.

Tom has been really frustrated lately.  It appears that our wonderful lettuce crop has been partially decimated by slugs.  Ewwwww!  I really hate slugs!

I went in search of non-chemical ways to attract slugs and stop them from making a pilgrimage through our garden...again.  It seems that the most common ideas included sharing a beer with them.  Well, I don't know about you, but we don't have beer in the house that often and when we do, I don't really care to share it with a slug!

Thinking about beer, I figured that the "yeasty" smell was probably what was appealing to our slimy intruders.  So I thought I'd make my own slug bait.  (I'm sure I'm not the only one who has come to this conclusion, but just in case...)
  • A shallow plastic bowl (like from cottage cheese, sour cream, Cool Whip)
  • Water
  • Yeast
  1. Cut a hole in the lid
  2. Fill bowl half-way with water
  3. Add 1 heaping teaspoon of yeast and stir
  4. Place out in your garden
  5. Watch for the carnage (Warning:  Graphic photo of dead slugs)
  6. Replace with fresh yeast/water as needed
  7. If you have chickens, they kinda like these "pickled" slugs...
Now we can keep the beer for ourselves! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment