Sunday, January 8, 2012

Homemade Bread Crumbs

I used to buy bread crumbs.  They are expensive.  So I said to myself, "Self?  Couldn't I make these for a lot less money?  Wouldn't it be better if I made these from my very own bread that is lovingly made fresh with my own freshly ground and soaked wheat instead of goodness-knows-what?"

I'm so glad I didn't wait for myself to respond.

Homemade Bread Crumbs

  • Bread ends or stale bread
  1. Cut each slice of bread into smaller pieces.  I cut each slice into 6ths.
  2. Lay bread pieces on dehydrator racks or cookie sheet(s) if using oven.
  3. Dry in dehydrator at highest temperature setting or in in oven at 175 - 200° until completely dry.
  4. Remove bread from dehydrator/oven and allow to cool.
  5. Place bread pieces into food processor.  Process until you have the size of crumb you desire.
  6. Store in an airtight container.  I like to store mine in a mason jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment