Saturday, January 28, 2012

Homemade Dehydrated Hash Browns

Weekends in our house are the time for bigger breakfasts like pancakes, waffles, or eggs with hash browns.

I had always been afraid to make hashbrowns because they never seemed to come out well.  Several months ago we purchased some dehydrated hasbrowns from Costco and really liked them except for all the uneccessary ingredients that were cohabitating with the potatoes.  So while I was re-seasoning my cast iron skillet the other day, I thought I'd throw in some potatoes to cook for a homemade version.  They are really easy to do and worth the effort.


Homemade Dehydrated Hash Browns
  1. Scrub, dry and prick your whole potatoes, baking until soft.
  2. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
  3. Cut each potato into quarters leaving skins on. 
  4. Shred potatoes directly onto dehydrator tray.  Discard/compost skins.  (The skin protects your fingers from getting shredded, too!)
  5. Spread potatoes evenly on dehydrator tray. 
  6. Dehydrate for 6-8 hours at 125 degrees until completely dry.
  7. Store in airtight container or jar until ready to use.
 To rehydrate and make hash browns:
  1. Cover amount of hash browns you want to make with hot water for 10 minutes.  (For my family of 4 I usually make just shy of 3 cups.)
  2. Drain off excess water.
  3. Heat a generous amount of bacon grease, palm shortening or olive oil in bottom of pan.  If using an electric skillet, I normally set mine at 375 degrees; if using my cast iron skillet on the stove top, I use a medium heat.
  4. Place drained potatoes in pan and cover.  Cook until nicely browned, about 5-7 minutes.  Turn and cook on other side until browned, again about 5-7 minutes.
  5. Season with salt and pepper.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment