Thursday, January 5, 2012

Homemade Ranch Dressing & Dip

I find most store-bought bottled ranch dressings taste disgusting...my opinion.  On top of that, there is goodness-knows-what in them and they can be pretty dog-gone pricey too.

The ranch dressing that I always leaned toward was the packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix, but I would never seem to remember to pick it up at the store.  It wasn't cheap, either, by the time you added in the other ingredients...so what's a girl to do?

Well, I got this recipe several weeks ago and my family doesn't want anything else on their salads, as dip for carrot and celery sticks, and mixed with homemade salsa for a yummy quesadilla dip.

I am currently using store-bought mayo to make it but do have a recipe for homemade mayo that I'll be trying soon.  (If you use Miracle Whip (*shudder*) your end result will definitely be different.)  In addition to your mayo, you'll need sour cream or buttermilk as well.

Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix
  • 5 T dried minced onion
  • 2 T dried parsley flakes
  • 1 T sea salt
  • 1 t garlic powder
Mix all the ingredients together well.  Store in an airtight container like a glass jelly jar.
To make dressing, combine:
  • 2T dressing mix
  • 1C mayo
  • 1C sour cream or buttermilk
Note:  If using sour cream, you might want to add a little milk to thin.
To make dip, combine:
  • 2C sour cream
  • 2T dressing mix.
For best results, after mixing your dressing/dip, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour to allow the flavors to develop.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment