Saturday, January 7, 2012

Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas

Have you ever taken a bite of a store-bought tortilla right out of the bag...with nothing on/in it?  Well, I have.  And they are absolutely, without a doubt, beyond gross.  They are bland and pasty.  Even the whole wheat tortillas are not in any way a culinary experience.  You can either take my word for it or give one a little nibble yourself.  Go ahead.  I wouldn't be offended if you didn't take my word on this one...honestly.

Now if you are still skeptical, here is the list of ingredients in a "whole wheat" flour tortilla.  This is from the Mission brand.  They were the first one's to be listed when I did my web-search, so they get the notoriety:

Ingredients: Water, Modified Food Starch, Whole Wheat Flour, Vital Wheat Gluten, Powdered Cellulose, Vegetable Shortening (Interesterified Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil and/or Palm Oil), Wheat Protein Isolate (Wheat Gluten, Lactic Acid, Sulfite), and contains 2% or less of: Salt, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Corn Starch, Monocalcium Phosphate and/or Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Calcium Sulfate), Cellulose Gum, Preservatives (Calcium Propionate, Sorbic Acid and/or Citric Acid), Distilled Monoglycerides, Enzymes, Wheat Starch, Calcium Carbonate, Antioxidants (Tocopherols, Ascorbic Acid), Natural Flavor, Sunflower Oil, Sucralose, Caramel Color, Canola Oil, Triglycerides, Dough Conditioners (Fumaric Acid, Sodium Metabisulfite and/or Mono- and Diglycerides).

Mmmmmm...yum.

So a few months ago I decided to go on a quest for a recipe for a great whole wheat tortilla.  It was not as easy as I thought it would be.  Trust me.  I've ended up with tortilla sized crackers (still edible but obviously not for the purpose intended).  Actually here is one in my post about hummus...


I know you can't see the tortilla too well.  That's because I cropped the picture very close to hide my shame.
Well enough with confessions.  One of my favorite whole food bloggers is Laura from www.heavenlyhomemakers.com.  Her recipes that I have tried are simple, kid-friendly, and really good.
On her site, you can purchase an e-book that contains her whole wheat tortilla recipe.  It didn't take me long to realize that it just might be worth the $2.95 price...and it was.  The recipe contains only four ingredients (five if you are soaking your home-ground whole wheat flour overnight for additional nutritional benefits).  I'd share it with you except that wouldn't be fair to Laura.  And for only $2.95, you'll save yourself a lot of headaches.

We've made tortillas several times with this recipe and every time they have turned out beautifully.  Or maybe I should have said they have been very yummy.  I guess the "beautiful" part may come with practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment