Sunday, January 8, 2012

Soaked Whole Wheat Pancakes

If you take a close look at our family's weekly menu, some things don't change much.  Take for instance our weekend breakfasts.  Normally we have pancakes one morning, waffles for the other.  Real rocket science goin' on here.  Everyone once in a while I might really mix things up and make eggs and hash browns.  I know... crazy stuff.

This is another recipe I've been making for years. 
When Tom and I were first married, I made Bisquick pancakes.  I was raised on those things and had just never thought to have a different thought when it came to pancakes.  Well, one day Tom wanted pancakes and I didn't have any Bisquick *gasp!*. I looked in my handy-dandy Betty Crocker cookbook, and lo and behold, if they didn't have a recipe in there for pancakes!  I just whipped us up a batch and have never bought Bisquick again.  Now I have to tell you, that was back in the day when I was still using bleached all-purpose flour *double gasp!*.  They may have tasted good, but I always got that blood-sugar crash an hour or two after breakfast.  (Of course, that couldn't have been compounded by having one of the two "syrup ladies" over for breakfast, too.  You know...Aunt Jemima and Mrs. Butterworth?  By the way, have you noticed that they are both fat???)
Oh, and I know you are just dying to know what's in Bisquick...



And for those of you who prefer Krusteaz, here is their ingredient list for the Buttermilk Pancake Mix:

INGREDIENTS:Enriched bleached flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid, may contain malted barley flour), sugar, dextrose, leavening (sodium bicarbonate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate), soy flour, canola or soybean oil, salt, buttermilk, guar gum, sodium stearoyl lactylate.

By the way, I just had to share this little advertising schpeil on the Krusteaz website:

From our Customers

I just had the best blueberry muffins at my friend's house. I thought they were homemade, but when I asked, she said her secret was Krusteaz. I couldn't believe her muffins came from a box.
- Marissa, Saint Peters, MO -

That touching little testimonial just brought a tear to my eye.  Excuse me for a sec while I go grab a tissue.

Anywho, my version for pancakes has been adapted to use home-ground whole wheat flour soaked in buttermilk and sweetened with a little sucanat.  Topped with warmed applesauce and real maple syrup...mmmm, mmmm!

Live long and prosper.

Soaked Whole Wheat Pancakes

  • 2 C whole wheat flour
  • 2 C buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 T sucanat
  • 1/4 melted butter or coconut oil
  • 2 t baking powder
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1 t salt
  • Optional: Add 1 C blueberries to batter
  1. Mix together flour and buttermilk.  Leave on counter covered 12-24 hours.
  2. Add all other ingredients to flour mixture and beat until smooth.  For thinner pancakes, add a small amount of milk or buttermilk until desired consistency is reached.
  3. Cook pancakes on cast iron griddle until puffed and dry around the edges. Flip and cook until other side is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment