Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sweet Potato Casserole

Sweet potato casserole.  As a kid, I really disliked the stuff.  Every year I'd be encouraged to try some, just in case my tastes changed.  Well, it does happen.  My tastes began to change, and even though I can't say I was really crazy about sweet potatoes, they weren't bad either.

Well, I normally host Thanksgiving and decided that because I was in that position of *ahem* power, that meant I got to make the sweet potatoes.  I was determined to find a sweet potato casserole recipe that wasn't sickeningly sweet and/or covered in marshmallows.  *Yuck*.

This recipe was a keeper.  Not only did I enjoy it, but my family really enjoyed it, too.   As a matter of fact, Reilly has already asked if I'm making it again this year.  I put her little mind at ease and assured her that I would...


Sweet Potato Casserole



  • 3 C sweet potatoes, mashed
  • 1/3 C sucanat
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 C butter, melted
  • 1/2 C milk
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 2/3 C sucanat
  • 1/3 C whole wheat
  • 3 T butter
  • 1 C walnuts, chopped

    1. Preheat oven to 350°.  Butter 9x9 pan with thin layer to prevent casserole from sticking.
    2. In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, sucanat, eggs, melted butter, milk, cinnamon and vanilla. Pour into prepared casserole dish.
    3. Mix together the sucanat, flour,butter and walnuts; sprinkle over casserole.
    4. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment