Sunday, January 8, 2012

Women of Faith 2011 - My Thoughts


My wonderful friend, Jill, author of Generational Womanhood, invited me to attend the Women of Faith (WOF) conference in Seattle with her this past weekend.  Just in case you have never attended and have been considering it, I thought I'd share with you my thoughts about the weekend.

First of all, if you are looking for a fun, uplifting girls' get-a-way, this just might be it.  I had never attended a WOF, and I absolutely loved that each session started with a few praise songs.  There is something really special about hearing 5,000+ women's voices singing praises to God!  And of course, just being somewhere with girlfriends is always a good time!

My favorite speaker was a woman named Patsy Clairmont.  This gal is "Maxine" in the flesh.  She is real, in your face and hilarious.  She had us laughing like crazy every time she was speaking.  In addition, her message wasn't just "frosting"...if you know what I mean.  She had lots of "cake" in it, too.  As a matter of fact, I took more notes and learned more from her than any of the other speakers.

What I really didn't care for about the conference was that it seemed so commercialized to me. I didn't expect that it would be a shopping frenzy.  Every speaker was an author who was peddling their book.  Books, tote bags, scarves, key chains...  There was even a Women of Faith credit card you could apply for. Now, I don't know about you, but I really had a problem with attending a Christian conference that promoted a credit card...even if rewards go to a "good" cause.

All in all, it was a fun weekend.  Would I want to go again?  Absolutely.  But it is always nice to know what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment