Saturday, January 7, 2012

Zucchini Cakes

Originally posted 9-27-11.

It's been a while.  Did ya miss me?  Well, I sure did miss sharing all the good things I've been doing with you!  Sometimes life smacks you around a little and I got the wind taken right out of my sails.  But I'm back now.  And as Forrest Gump would say, "That's all I have to say about that."
So, let's talk about zucchini!  If you had a garden of any kind this year, you may have grown this amazing member of the squash family.  I love zucchini plants because they are impressive...
...and they bless you with enough zucchini that you may be looking for new and creative ways to use it.  And when you have had your fill (and then some), sometimes it becomes apparent that you have exhausted every possible option you know of getting rid of gifting it away.  This becomes pretty obvious when people see you coming and they run in the other direction.

*Sigh*

Well, here is a great recipe I tried last night that even my picky 8-year old really liked.  (Now, that's saying ALOT.)  This recipe is similar to a crab cake recipe, only using...you guessed it...ZUCCHINI!  I served it with homemade mac & cheese (I'll share the recipe with you soon!) and fresh organic carrot sticks with homemade Ranch dressing.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!


Zucchini "Cakes"

  • 2 1/2 C grated zucchini
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 T butter, melted
  • 1 C bread crumbs
  • 1/4 C minced onion or 1T dried minced onion
  • 1 t Old Bay Seasoning®
  • 1/4 C whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour, if that’s all ya got)
  • 1/2 C coconut, palm, or olive oil for frying
  • Salt to taste

Directions

  1. Remove as much water from the grated zucchini as possible.  (I lightly salted mine and allowed it to drain in a colander for a couple of hours prior or you can squeeze the excess water out with towels.)
  2. In a large bowl, combine zucchini, egg, and butter. Stir in bread crumbs, minced onion, and seasoning. Mix well.
  3. Shape mixture into patties. Dredge in flour.
  4. In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Fry patties in oil until golden brown on both sides.
I lightly salted them after they came out of the pan and they were sooooo yummy!  Oh by the way, if you don't have any Old Bay® on hand (like I didn't) be sure to read my post tomorrow for a way to make it yourself!
 
Live in Victory!
Lynette




No comments:

Post a Comment