Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Never Fail Fool Proof Homemade Mayonnaise

Homemade mayonnaise.  I know.  The title of this post is full of oxymorons.  I am sure that the words "never fail" and "fool-proof" have NEVER been linked to homemade mayonnaise before.  Just the thought of whipping up a batch of the stuff would nearly cause me to call my counselor.  (Oh ya...I don't have a counselor.)

Oh well.  I've tried to make mayonnaise before and have had, well let's just say, mixed results.  At various times, I've tried using a food processor, a hand mixer, and a stick blender and it's...not...been...good.  Mayonnaise is supposed to be smooth, creamy and glossy.  Mine usually ended up glossy...and gloppy.  Ick.


I've followed the directions, have faithfully used room temperature yolks and ever so sssslllllloooooowwwwwllllllyyyyy added the oil.  Nope.  Not gonna happen for me.

So recently, I had a thought (brace yourself Bessie) that maybe, just maybe, it might work if I just used a wire whisk.  And you know something?  It.  Works.  And you know something else?  Your arm doesn't feel like it's gonna fall off when you're done.  How cool is that.

So, go whip yourself up a batch of homemade mayo.

Never Fail, Fool-Proof Homemade Mayonnaise
( Makes 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 Cups)

  • 2 eggs yolks from pasture raised chickens
  • 1-2 T lemon juice or vinegar
  • 1 t prepared mustard of your choice
  • 1 to 1-1/2 C olive oil
  1. Warm your glass or stainless steel mixing bowl with hot water.  Dry bowl.
  2. Add room temperature egg yolks, lemon juice and mustard to warmed bowl.  If your ingredients aren't quite room temperature, wait a few minutes until they are.
  3. With your wire whisk, begin stirring egg yolk mixture for 1-2 minutes.  Yolks should be a little foamy.
  4. Add 1 T olive oil to yolks.  Whisk until the oil is completely incorporated and you cannot see any oil.
  5. Add another 1 T olive oil.  Again, whisk until the oil is completely incorporated.
  6. Continue adding olive oil 1 T at a time, whisking thoroughly after each addition.
  7. Transfer to jar or other container and refrigerate.
Note:  Homemade mayonnaise has a rich, deep yellow color because of the color of the egg yolks.

Does your homemade mayo not play well with others?  Well, be sure to come back tomorrow for an easy trick to keep your mayo from separating or curdling when mixed with other ingredients.  You are just gonna love me for it.

This recipe shared on Real Food Wednesday.

4 comments:

  1. thanks you thank you thank you! - I will be trying this tonight!
    BLessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long will this mayonnaise keep in the fridge ???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't recommend anything past a week. I do find that adding the tablespoon of boiling water really helps it to stay fresh longer.

    ReplyDelete