Thursday, June 7, 2012

Beyond Easy Fruit Salad

Fruit salad is a staple in our house.  It's easy, good, and good for you too.

Many fruit salad recipes have some kind of special dressing.  Not this one.  Oh, no.  This is simplicity at it's best.  So if you can open a can or two, cut up some fruit and maybe grab a couple handfuls of some fresh or frozen berries, you've got fruit salad.


The base for every fruit salad I make is a can of pineapple chunks.  Not only do we love pineapple, but the juice included in the can keeps apples and the like from turning brown.  Brown apples are not appealing.  I also like to use a can of mandarin oranges if we don't have fresh oranges on hand.

About the only fruit I don't like in fruit salad is bananas.  They get mushy.  And that's just gross to me.

Fresh or frozen berries are a great addition to your fruit salad.  I just put them in the bowl and stir together with the rest of the fruit.  If they are frozen, just allow them a few minutes to thaw in the salad.  Raspberries will tend to turn the pineapple pink after a while, but I don't really care about that.  Mushy bananas...now I do care about that.

One last thought, chop of your fruit so it is in bite-size pieces.  Okay, that's it!

Fruit Salad
  • 1 can pineapple chunks (packed in pineapple juice)
Options (choose at least two):
  • 1 can mandarin oranges
  • apple
  • grapes, halved
  • raspberries
  • blueberries
  • strawberries
  • star fruit
  • pears
Occasionally I'll add a handful of dried cranberries or currants.  Just adds to the variety of colors and textures in your salad.  I don't add nuts or seeds, but if you think that sounds good, be my guest!

No comments:

Post a Comment