Monday, October 29, 2012

Hard vs. Soft Whole Wheat Flour

When I first started grinding my own flour and making whole wheat goodies for my family, I must admit that some of them turned out less than desirable.  My family is so wonderful, though, that they were never mean or condescending, but were willing to eat my chocolate cake or chocolate chip cookies using a hard whole wheat flour.  These were not really *bad*, but they certainly weren't good either.


Fast forward:  Well, a few months ago, I learned that hard red or white whole wheat has a higher protein content, making it better for any baked good containing yeast.

When making other quick breads, cookies or cakes that don't contain yeast, soft whole wheat (and better yet sprouted whole wheat) flour makes a lighter, more tender final product.  And a happier real foodie family.

So, there you have it.  If you want more detail, go knock yourself out.  Here's a great article from the Fresh Loaf to get ya started.

No comments:

Post a Comment